Same-Sex Invalid Unions
Faculty: Rev. Jude Onogbosele, J.C.D. (Profile)
Description: “The Church teaches that respect for homosexual persons cannot lead in any way to approval of homosexual behavior or to legal recognition of homosexual unions,” says UBHP. However, all 50 States approve same-sex marriages (also the District of Columbia and the Coquille Indian tribe territory). The ultimate goal of this tutorial is to familiarize the canonist with the situation of same-sex invalid unions for the Church and its tribunals.
- New Commentary on the Code of Canon Law, Beal, Coriden, Green eds. New York/Mahwah: Paulist Press, 2000
- Considerations Regarding Proposals to Give Legal Recognition to Unions between Homosexual Persons, Congregation for the Doctrine of Faith (3/6/2003). Abbreviated here as UBHP
- Between Man and Woman: Questions and Answers About Marriage and Same-Sex Union, United States Conference of Catholic Bishops (11/2003). Abbreviated here as BMAW
- Catechism of the Catholic Church. SanFrancisco: Ignatius Press, 1994. Abbreviated here as CCC
- Defense of Marriage Act, enacted by 104th United States Congress (21/9/1996)